Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:48:44 -0800
From:      Mario Theodoridis <mario@schmut.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports on Macbook

On Friday 27 February 2009 01:34:09 Nataraj S Narayan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hear that Mac OS X and later ones are based on FreeBSD. My wife is
> planning to get a Macbook , which I don't quite approve. Mainly
> because we need to pay for any upgrade or new add ons.
>
> But i see there is the 'ports' for Mac as in the case of FreeBSD. Is
> it the same thing? Can we use FreeBSD ports on Macbook? That we I am
> spared of paying profusely?

There are port systems, but i doubt FreeBSD ports will build on OS X
check out http://www.finkproject.org/
and http://darwinports.com/

Also the mac doesn't run X natively and the implementation used to be
substandard a couple of years ago. (Difficult clipboard support, apps not on
task bar, multi monitor hand ups...). I assume this has improved, since it's
been a couple of years since i played with macs.

mario;>