Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:38:39 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Implementing TLS: step 1

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:29:35PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Ok,
> >
> > Step 1: static TLS in libthr.
>
> Can you please make this libkse first?  This is the harder
> one, and what you may find works for libthr may not work
> for libkse.  Also, libkse is on the TODO for 5.2-release.

libthr will be the only threading library on ia64 in 5.2-R if libkse
is not ported before then. Given the current status libkse is simply
not a viable threading implementation for me to implement TLS in.

I expect to implement TLS in libthr in such a way that the MI changes
are leveraged when implementing it in libkse.

Also, implementing TLS in the threads library that's conceptually
less complex, makes debugging the TLS specific changes much easier
and thus reduces the problem space when implementing it in libkse.