Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 08:45:55 -0400
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NATD, Intermittent Problems.

	Hi guys.  I just setup NATD, I got a cable modem, and 3 computers...
although the problem, (at least I think it does...) only refers to two
computers.  I think I set it up right, both computers (as well as the
gateway / router / caching DNS server with two NICs), can access the
network.  However, I noticed a few oddities.  I use the software, "Eudora
Pro" email client on one of the other machines.  When I try to send mail to
some mailing lists, it will say "thisemail@addr.com was not accept by your
SMTP Server, change the recipient name."  Okay... I am a bit fuzzy on
natd... I thought it forwarded everything all fine and dandy.  But I can
RECEIVE mail, but I cannot SEND mail from the other computers.  I am going
to further test different combinations.  But all in all, there is something
amiss.  I tried eliminating sendmail on the other machine.  (the natd /
gateway / router / caching DNS machine...) but I am uncertain why it would
need sendmail to forward the POP3 mail that eudora is sending out?  Seems
like a port issue?  (oh yeah /var/log/maillog shows NO errors... just
sendmail starting up.... and having a few DNS errors first before i got the
caching DNS server up)
	Second Problem.... one of the computers is trying to hook into
"battle.net" which requires a "6112 UDP" port.  What I tried doing is,
"natd -permanent_link udp LAN_IP:6112 0:0 6112 -interface de0"  It seems to
work, but three times in a row, (same day), I "lose" connection.  Is
something wrong with the permanent link command I did?  It seems to work
for at least 30 mins... then it "loses" connection.  Is that the right
idea?  Because without that command, the "battle.net" complains that "my
server is not processing UDP packets."  (and it uses port 6112 packets).

I can think of a few potential problems.  One... sendmail.  Do I need it?
I killed it, still having the same email problem.  Two... my DNS server is
setup wrong?  It seems to be working, it is just a caching server.
Three.... the ISP with the Cable modem has a bad connect to battle.net.

Thanks in advance guys.  This is my first REAL work in FreeBSD, and I like
it alot.

-Carroll Kong