Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:15:36 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing from /usr/src/contrib

The questions:

Is there a procedure for adding software under the /usr/src tree that is
akin to the method for adding ports and just as simple? Does this procedure
change depending on the software I wish to install?

The background:

This is not a question about opie, but I will use it as an example.

I recently tried to install fetchmail which stopped with an error because
it could not find opie.h. I 'find'ed opie.h in /usr/src/contrib/opie. I ran
make from this directory. This build died with an error because of some MD4
libraries were not found. Go figure. The options were setup to use the MD5
libraries. Anyway...

I poked around some more and found a Makefile in /usr/src/lib/libopie. I
ran make. Opie compiled and installed perfectly.

There were two different Makefiles in two different directories. Both
seemed to be the Makefile for opie. But only one (/usr/src/lib/libopie) did
the build without complaints.

I found this installation of opie to be marginally less easy than adding a
port. It seems that the way opie should be installed is to run
'./configure' in /usr/src/contrib/opie and then run 'make' in
/usr/src/lib/libopie. All of this seems to be in contrast to the simplicity
by which a port is installed.

Again the questions: Is there a procedure for adding software under the
/usr/src tree that is akin to the method for adding ports and just as
simple? Does this procedure change depending on the software I wish to
install?

Oh yeah... Feel free to point any gross misconceptions that I have about
installing software.

As an aside, I did get fetchmail to build after building opie. I don't
really have any problems. What I seek is a greater understanding of my OS.

Thank you,
Jason Wells

P.S. Some of you may have noticed that I use a windows mailer. I am working
on fixing that problem. :)