Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hiding e-mail adresses needed badly

Reset cc: chain

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> Hear hear, I wish more people would take this POV. Hiding your email address
> is a constant process that you can never stop doing; and once you've made one
> mistake the spammers get you anyway. Better to implement filters and never see
> them. And if they still get through, just hit 'd' (the spam I get is
> identifiable by subject 99% of the time), and move on...

As an active poster to the freebsd lists, I'm pretty sure that they are
not a source of mails the harvesters use.  My spam volume is quite low,
and SpamAssassin is 99% effective against it.

My work email is much, much worse. Afte several years of indiscriminate
use on usenet and website signups and Outlook, it gets 3-4,000 spams per
month.  The company uses (used, shortly) SA 2.4; I put 2.55 (and now 2.6)
on my workstation with the cutoff at 2 and some score tuning and got 30%
more spam traps for an effective rate that's even better than on my
private mailserver.  My work email also gets the newest spam trends; I saw
the bayes-buster type spams way before my home address saw them.

Use SA, set the cutoff to 4, and relax. Check the spam box every so often
and tune rules and whitelist as needed. Have a beer. Life is too short to
agonize over spam.

On the bayes buster thread, I think the spammers were doing random
searches for words on Google to get the passages they use; Google recently
started returning zero results for certain types of queries where the
words were totally unrelated.  The passages in the spams were usually from
books, about the length of the google abstract.  Coincidence?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org