Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 08:32:19 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed patch: kern.bootdev* sysctl variables

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 12:59:40PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> My machines tend to have scsi drives (and some of them have only
> scsi hard drives), and I can also boot off of CD's.  If something
> like this is added, I think it pretty much has to give the correct
> answer in all cases.  If not, it should give a helpful clue, but

there are some undetectable cases, such as when you boot from a CD
using the floppy emulation in the bios... I have posted
some code which is supposed to recognize the values set by boot2 .
I have tried it (without a /boot/loader) from floppy and IDE hard disk
(they are correctly recognised), CD in floppy emulation (recognised
as floppy, as it should), etherboot (it correctly prints that the
information is invalid).

If you can try it from some other sources, maybe we can extend
the cases that are recognised.

	cheers
	luigi