Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:04:10 -0500
From:      "Jason Craig" <nemesys@home.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compile new kernel with MCA support

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for replying!

Here's what I see when I boot with the kernel I compiled a few days ago:

Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 4.0-19991113-CURRENT #0: Fri Nov 19 08:00:49 GMT 1999

root@cr717730-d.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL.1119199
9
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: Pentium/P54C (89.96-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x525  Stepping = 5
  Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>
real memory  = 67108864 (65536K bytes)
avail memory = 62033920 (60580K bytes)
panic: unknown bus type: 'MCA'
mp_lock = 00000004; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000

Boom...  Locked up.

When I created the custom kernel config for this machine I did removed
devices that were not present in my system (as usual), and enabled SMP.

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

A little lower I noticed that there were no entries for MCA, should there be
one?

controller      isa0
controller      pnp0                    # PnP support for ISA
controller      eisa0
controller      pci0

Thans in advance,

Jason