Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:49:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers wrote:

> All this talk about motherboards ...
>
> I've been salivating over advertisements of PCI "586" mb's at < $200.
> Using Cyrix, Nexgen, etc chips.  Anyone had experience with any of these?
>
> Are we talking snake oil?  Or, are these folks really putting it to Intel?

I have two machines running here using the 586 type chips.
One machine uses the AMD X5 chip otherwise known as yje AMD 5x86-133.
Nothing fancu about this chip, just a 133mhz 486.

The second machine uses the Cyrix 5x86-120.  I have been very impressed
with this chip EXCEPT for the inability of Cyrix to say "Here is a PCI
motherbboard that works properly".  It took me 3 motherboards and as many
BIOSes to get a working board :-(.  HOWEVER, a kernel compile takes about
12 minutes on the machine.  For a speed comparision the 100 next to it
takes about 9.5mins and about 8 minutes for our P-120.  So Cyrix's claims
that it is roughly P-90 speed seems to be close to the mark.

The X5 isn't as impressive but motherboards seem to support it better.

Just my opinion, mileage may vary. Do not fold bend spindle or mutilate.

     : Tom Arnold - No relation to Rosanne           :
     : SysAdmin/Pres - TBI, Ltd ( inna.net )         :
     : An ISP serving the Virginia Middle Penninsula :