Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:18:29 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vaio r505te: 4.4, 4.5-RC1 "lock up"

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 at 16:27:26 -0600, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> So I have 3 FreeBSD installation CD-ROMs:  4.3, 4.4, and 4.5-RC1
> (actually just the boot floppy burned on a CDRW in El Torrito format).
> I'm attempting to install on my snazzy new laptop, a Sony Vaio R505TE
> with external CD-ROM attached via PCMCIA.
>
> 4.3 installs just fine.
>
> 4.4 and 4.5-RC1 fail in a very odd manner:  the kernel appears to boot
> just fine, but no userland output makes it to the console.  The last
> thing I see when booting off the 4.4 CD-ROM is
>
> ad0: 14307MB <IBJ-DJSA-220> [29070/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
>
> (photo at http://web.hexapodia.org/~adi/sart/fbsd44.jpg, dmesg from
> 4.3 at http://web.hexapodia.org/~adi/sart/dmesg.txt)
>
> This machine has an Intel 815 chipset, which I suspect to be the
> problem.
>
> I previously had 4.3 installed and performed an upgrade to 4.4, and
> had a similar problem where userland output didn't get to the console,
> but for some reason I convinced myself that the machine wasn't hung --
> just not outputting to console.  (I forget why I thought this.)  ISTR
> that it would boot and I could log in over the network, but I could be
> wrong.
>
> Any suggestions for how to get past this point?

Yes, look at the -mobile archive, where this has been discussed.  The
problem has nothing to do with the i815 chipset, it's due to the pccard
changes that went into 4.4-R.  You can get around it by adding the
following to /boot/loader.conf:

   hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
   hw.pcic.irq="0"

You can also set it at the boot prompt when you boot up.

--
jim mock <mij@soupnazi.org>   http://soupnazi.org/ | jim@FreeBSD.org