Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 10:06:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        akyol@wireless.Stanford.EDU, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Help on block size in tar

In Email, J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:
> > > What is the default blocksize of tar on FreeBSD, I have made a tape
> > > on a freebsd system and now cannot read it on a linux system.
>
> > it may be more complicated...
> > it might be teh TAPE DRIVE complaining...
>
> Anyway, i think the default blocksize is only 512 bytes.  This should
> also pass any variable-length driver.

Are you sure?  I quote the tar manpage (which, being GNU tar isn't the
official source of information regarding tar, I suppose).

"and 20 is the default block size"

And each of these blocks are then 512 bytes, I believe.

Or the manpage is just confusing the heck out of me.

tIM...HOEk
The opinions expressed above are mine,
and if my employer shares them,
that's his hard luck.