Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:48:32 -0700
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@versys.net>
To:        secure21@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd Install problems

secure21@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to the world of FreeBSD / Unix but cannot wait to introduce
> myself to it.
>
> I have designated an older (circa 1992) 486DX2 (PX486P3 motherboard) 66
> Mhz with 8mb of ram machine and novell 2000 - compantible (NIC)
> (Linksys).  (The machine does not have a CD-ROM drive and AMI 1992 BIOS
> does not allow me to install one).

Be sure that the cards IRQ and I/O settings are the same on the card as
are in the user configuration of FreeBSD.  This bit me once.

How much disk space was allocated for FreeBSD?

> I spent my Sat and Sun trying to install the operating systme but still
> cannot get it to work properly.  My ftp installs hang after 57% of
> completion (this is the best I could do) and my Floppy installs do not
> want to execute due to the system not being able to read floppy
> distributions.

Was this 57% of the "bin" distribution?

When it hung did you look for any unusual messages from the second
virtual terminal by pressing ALT-F2? If so what were they?

> Is it possible to get FreeBSD to work on the above described computer?

It is possible, but as I understand it and have experienced it can be
way difficult with as little RAM as 8 MB.  It may be easier if you can
temporarily install more RAM.

> (My initial load shows 10 conflicts but I delete all "bogus" devices)
>
> Any advice you could give me?

Hang in there :-)

--
  Regards,