Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:25:26 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/bin/groff: can't find `DESC' file

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:25:18PM +0100, Arno J. Klaassen wrote:
> I got this error when comcping with CFLAGS='-O3 -pipe'.
> rebuilding world with CFLAGS='-O -pipe' made it disappear.

Don't do that. -On is known to produce bad code.

> introducing CXXFLAGS might be not a bad idea (if it does not
> exist already in some form or another (I'm not yte completely
> familiarised with th FreeBSD build environment)).

CXXFLAGS exists. Unfortunately, it over-rides CFLAGS for C++ objects,
so many points in your typical `make world' fail (groff is a fine
example).  The only way around it, that I can discern, is to
introduce a standard INCS and OPTS variable that gets added by
bsd.prog.mk and bsd.lib.mk to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. Of course, you'd
still have to convert the old makefiles to take advantage of the
new syntax. You'd also have to convince a bunch of decade-long BSD
bigots that this is The Right Thing To Do (that includes me ;-)).

Or, you could hack each of the problematic Makefiles in a way
similar to the one described above. This'll probably get you a lot
farther than trying to change the way things have been done for
the last ten years.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@rcn.com>
	They Might Be Giant's Dial-a-Song service: (718) 387-6962.