Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 22:16:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ts@icu.ac.jp
Cc:        questions@freefall.cdrom.com, hardware@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: dual-Pentium motherboard

> Hello!  Ko-n-ni-chi-wa!!
>
> Is FreeBSD 2.0 able to run on AMI's Titan II with a single Pentium (I
> mean ... if the 2nd processor socket is vacant)?  This question may be
> silly for you but I'm unsure on PC hardware.  I'd appreciate it if you
> give me advice.  Thank you!!

Yes, it should run just fine unless AMI has done something really stupid
and made the board incompatible in some strange way.

I have run FreeBSD on the ASUS PCI/E-P54NP4 and the PCI/I-P54NP4
dual pentium boards, both with 1 cpu and 2 cpu's plugged in, it just
won't use the second CPU.  You can also run with the APIC enabled
as FreeBSD does not touch the APIC and leaves it in virtual wire
or PIC mode:

  This is a Pentium 735\\90 or 815\\100  Stepping=1
  Features=0x7bf FPU VME PSE MCE CX8 APIC

Before you buy the board I would suggest checking to find out if
it is Intel MPspec 1.1 compliant.  If it is there is a good chance it
will work with the SMP support that is planned for a future release
of FreeBSD.

If it is not compliant I suggest you get one of the ASUS boards, they
both are compliant.