Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:18:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "bsd emulation" (controle of cgi execution)

hi,

I would like to controle the execution of the cgi on my machine
(specially the path used by the scripts)

each client as a unique group id / user id. the binarie I
want to control are either some standard FreeBSD in a chrooted enviromnent or
the cgi scripts launched by suexec (largely customized version of
apache suexec).

for example:  I have /home/user1 and /home/user2. with chroot
the users are only able to see (from the cgi) /user1 and /user2 but
I would like to make /user1 hidden from /user2 (and the same for the
reverse case). without having to make a separate chrooted environment
for each user.

one the idea would be to write a "bsd emulator" base on the linux emulator
to trap the system call inside the emulator.
nothing would be done by this "emulator" execpt controlling the paths.

the other idea would be to modify the bsd to intercept the system call
for the process with a specific flag ? (to avoid slowing down standard
applications) and a system called could be:
processed normaly (read, write...), treated as errors (mount...)
or intercepted to controle the path (a kind of suexecd)

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net