Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:05:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Duplicating Hard Drives

A question about duplicating content from one hard drive to the next...

Let's say that we have a hard drive which looks like it's getting ready to
fail.  Being proactive, we'd like to replace the hard drive before it
actually becomes unusable.  :)

In the past, I've added extra hard drives to FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.2, and 3.4
systems without any trouble.  I've moved the content from one partition to
another (IE., from /usr on drive 0 to the new /usr partition on drive 1).
That much isn't a problem.

The heart of my question is this:  After I put in the second hard drive
and move all the content over, how do I get the necessary boot sector
programs in place where they should be?  As the first (failing) hard drive
needs to come out, the second must boot as the first did.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark Rekai - INetU, Inc.(tm) - http://www.INetU.net
Electronic commerce - Web development - Web hosting
       Mark@INetU.net - Phone: (610) 266-7441