Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:26:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

On 2002-01-13 09:43:51, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> I don't remember doing anything special with ntpd to set this up.  I
> just used the standard xntpd that is bundled with the basic OS, put
> time server entries in ntp.conf, and ran the daemon.

Mostly correct.

On 2002-01-13 12:00:04, Chris Dillon wrote:
> That last sentence is incorrect.  Incidentally, I haven't seen a
> single post in reply to your original question that actually answered
> your question.  YES, the ntpd included with FreeBSD IS an ntp time
> server and can act as a time source for all 700 or so of your current
> ntp clients.

To the original poster:

Joe, thank you for taking the time to write summaries of the thread.
You do realise, I hope, that ntpd -- included in the base system of
your FreeBSD installation -- is in fact a time synchronization server.
If you read the manpage of ntpd(8), you will find parts like the
following:

   Operating Modes
     ntpd can operate in any of several modes, including symmetric active/pas-
     sive, client/server broadcast/multicast and manycast, as described in the
     "Association Management" page (available as part of the HTML documenta-
     tion provided in /usr/share/doc/ntp).

As Chris Dillon wrote, if you fire up ntpd, it will gracefully act
both as a client, and after a short while, as a server.  This is the
default behavior that is documented in ntpd(8) and /usr/share/doc/ntp.
If you want your ntpd to act as a client to some of it's peers and as
a server to none, you can write in your /etc/ntp.conf file:

	restrict 0.0.0.0 noserve

For other options of ntpd and a description of the ntp.conf file, you
can always resort to ntp.conf(5).

--
Giorgos Keramidas . . . . . . . . . keramida@{ceid.upatras.gr,freebsd.org}
FreeBSD Documentation Project . . . http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/