Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:20:14 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mouse trouble (console and X)

Hello,

I had moused running, using /dev/mouse which
was a symlink to /dev/sysmouse. When I started
X with this configuration, the mouse fired off quite
a few clicks and placed itself in the top right corner
and then went dead.

I went back to the console and killed moused just
to find that the mouse now was non-functional in X.

Back on the console again, I changed /dev/mouse
to point to /dev/psm0 (as I have a PS/2 mouse).
This made the mouse work correctly in X, but
only when moused isn'r running. moused still starts
and operates correctly even tough it now points
to /dev/psm0 instead of /dev/sysmouse trough
/dev/mouse.

Is there a way to make moused and X cooperate
to share the mouse? And what exactly does=20
/dev/sysmouse do? I read somewhere that it
was an abstraction to the actual mouse device...?

Note that I have tried both "ps/2" and "auto" as
protocols for moused, both for /dev/psm0 and
/dev/sysmouse.

- IT