Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:48:39 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011275319.cd3c92@mired.org>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup using TAR

Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com> types:
> I am experimenting with tar as a mechanism to do a full backup of my
> system.
> I would like to backup the entire system to file which will later be copied
> to cd (roughly 450MB).
>
> Here is the command I'm using:
>
> tar  cpf /usr/archive/full-backup-`date '+%d-%B-%Y'`.tar
> --directory / --exclude=/usr/ports --exclude=/mnt
> --exclude=/usr/archive --exclude=/proc .
>
> What other directories should I exclude?

/dev. FreeBSD device numbers are bigger than the tar formats device
number slots.

> Are there any other recommended parameters?

Yeah - replace "tar" with "dump". Tar was designed to be a tool
archiving and sharing data in unixoid file trees. Dump was designed to
back up and restore FreeBSD's file systems. The similarity in the
requirements for the two tasks ends not far past "copy the data in the
files to the media".

Even if you don't do that, you might consider adding --compress and
changing the file extension to .tar.gz.

	<mike