Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:44:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        gelderen@mediaport.org (Jeroen C. van Gelderen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

According to Jeroen C. van Gelderen:
> From: Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
> >A 33% increase in execution time doesn't seem like a good justification?
>
> It certainly isn't a good justification for putting Fortran in the base
> system. The majority of users never uses fortran and as long as that is the
> case, Fortran doesn't belong in the base system.

A Fortran compiler is already in the base system.  It is inferiori to
g77.

> >6. M. Smith said --> "easily-installable and easily-upgradeable port".
> >   Ha Ha Ha.
> >
> >   head -4 /usr/ports/lang/g77/Makefile
> >   # New ports collection makefile for:    GNU Fortran
> >   # Version required:     0.5.19.1
> >   # Space required:       >= 10MB
> >   # Date created:         Wed Mar 22 18:51:05 MET 1995
> >
> >   This is ancient.  The current version is 0.5.24.
>
> Yes, it's ancient. That probably means that nobody is interested in creating
> a port for Fortran. But that doesn't mean Fortran should go into the base
> system. It means that the port should be fixed.

It's ancient because the g77 maintainers are moving forward.  They
support the latest gcc+2.8.1 and egcs.  When, and if they have time,
they make patches available for the ancient gcc+2.7.2.1.

> >7. An egcs port works.  But, everyone who does any number crunching will
> >   be wasting large amounts a disk space because of the massive redundancy
> >   in /usr/{bin,lib,share/{info,man}} and
> /usr/local/{bin,lib,info,share/man}
>
> Fortran in the base system would require everybody to waste diskspace on
> Fortran. Your egcs waste wouldn't be much more than a couple of 100 MBs. If
> you can't accept that, please step forward and create a decent port. Or try
> and find someone on the list who can help you out.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  Fortran is already in the
base system.  Incorporation of g77 would replace f77, f2c, libf2c, and
their accompanying documentution.

/usr/bin/g77 replaces /usr/bin/f77 and /usr/bin/f2c

libg77 replaces libf2c.  Yes, there is some bloat due to the addition
of lubU77 in libg77.

g77.1 replaces f77.1 and f2c.1

g77.info is new.  But, we install gzipped info pages, so you're
not wasting a ton of space.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu