Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:21:22 -0000
From:      stuart@bh90210.net
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   I8K + FreeBSD (4.3): newbie questions

Listmembers:

okay, I am sure some of these questions are in the manual, and I am
trying to find a pdf version of the handbook.

However, I am also looking for personal experience and caveats, so
please, dont just say read the manual.

Hardware:

Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop
1600x1200 LCD, ATI M4 Card, 512MB of RAM, 32GB HD, LS120, CD-RW/DVD
1394, Actiontec 56K modem (built in), Intel Ethernet (builtin)

a) How do I mount a floppy disk in FreeBSD?
b) Where do kernel configuration files go?
c) How do I build a new kernel?
d) What filesystems does FreeBSD honor? Ext2? ReiserFS? Ext3?
e) I cant get "X11" to come up at all, what should /usr/X11R6/bin/X
be symbolically linked to for an ATI M4 card?
f) once I do that, any other things to check (other than using a good
XF86config file)?
g) I tried xf86setup and such, got nowhere being clueless what
choices to accept!

I am very excited about getting FreeBSD working on my I8K, as I just
copied all my files from my SunOS 4.1.4 machine to Linux (for
preservational purposes), and hope to get FreeBSD up as a replacement.

Incidently, I am curious how well (or if at all) FreeBSD performs on
a SPARC machine?

Dont laugh....But, what if I had:

An IPC - right now with 12MB, but I plan to get (if I can find them)
12 4MB SIMMS (32 pin!), and pump it up to 48MB. I also have a SPARC
2, which I might use instead of the IPC (thus needing more 4MB
SIMMS). I want to run a current and mainted OS on it, and I am not so
partial to SuSE Linux, and RH has basically dropped support for RH
Sparc. Besides, I think it ought to be a law that SPARC 2s ought not
run anything but a BSD based OS!?!

Of course I do live in California, so hopefully the ram will be
locatable.

Does anyone know of a controller board that will convert an IDE drive
to be used with SCSI? I heard someone had one.

Any advice will be well appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Stuart
Beverly Hills, Ca
USA