Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jonathan Stewart <jonstew1983@yahoo.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discrepancy between ps -i -o inblk and figuring numbers by hand

--- Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (Mar 24), Jonathan Stewart said:
> > In that case how would I track how much information a process has
> > actually read from a drive?  I occasionally run processes that will
> > read as much as 40+ gig in a single run which takes quite a while
> and
> > on windows :P I can see "bytes read" and "bytes written" per
> process
> > which lets me track how much the program has read so far and thus
> get
> > an idea of how close it is to done.  Sorry for the run-on sentence
> > there.
>
> I use lsof, which can tell you the file offset of each open
> filedescriptor.  "lsof -o -o20 -p ###" will print all the files
> currently opened by pid ###, and their current offset.

Hmm, that almost works but the program opens 1000's of files each time.
 The program is Unison which is a file synchronizer and I have it
synchronizing files sets >40GB with and 1000's or more files.  Based on
your description once the file is closed I can't even tell if it was
read or not :P

Thanks (a bunch) again,
Jonathan