Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:07:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        moore@WOLFE.net (Timothy Moore)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing a serial card...

Timothy Moore stands accused of saying:
>    Hmm.  What happens if you power the machine down and up again? (I presume
>    you did it when you removed the ether card, but you may have booted
>    DOS first...)
>
> Same result: "sio2 not found..." and sio3 too.

Yuck.  Sounds like your '550's aren't as "compatible" as they're supposed to
be.

>    Not really; it's all abuse of terminology.  What brand are the 16550's?
>    Are they, by any chance, inside a Startech 16C552?
>
> No, but close; the board (made by Kouwell) has two Startech 16C550CP
> chips on it.

Hmm. I have some '552 cards that are total crap (they'll actually crash
the system they're in after a few minutes), but I have a card with
two 16C550CP's on it.  Can you send me _all_ of the numbers off the top
of the chips?  I can't remember offhand whether Startech are kind enough
to print date codes and the like on their parts, but it would be useful
to compare them with some that are known to work.

Just on the off chance; what else do you have in the machine?  And for
the record, what are the other chips on this card?  I presume there's
some decode logic of some sort : it might be helpful to know what
else was hanging around there.

Bruce; you're the serial expert - know anything about these parts that
I'm missing?

> Tim

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[