Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 02:33:22 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Anton Voronin <anton@urc.ac.ru>, Allen Smith <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

On Sep 28,  2:36pm, Anton Voronin wrote:
} Allen Smith wrote:
}
} > Question... what does happen if one has a R/O root filesystem,
} > including /dev, without DEVFS? I'm constructing a firewall computer
} > with a (switchable - a nice facility of some Seagate drives) hard
} > drive for root, a second writeable drive for /var and swap, and a /tmp
} > MFS. What problems am I likely to run into with /dev? I'd really
} > prefer not to have it as a symlink to /var/dev or some such...

} It needs to write /dev/console but it does this before mounting according to
} fstab. If you protect your hard drive it probably won't work. Try to just
} mount it with -ro option.

That should not be a problem.  You should be able to write to /dev/console
or /dev/null even with a physically write-protected disk, because writes
to these devices don't require changing any of the bits on the disk.

Just be sure to mount the filesystem read-only as well, otherwise the
kernel will get upset when it tries to update the mtime on these devices
and can't because the disk is write-protected.