Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 00:43:42 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is VT_TFS?

Nate Williams wrote:
> > TRW supported a lot of the early
> > 386BSD/FreeBSD effort, back before Walnut Creek CDROM threw
> > in and had us change the version number from 0.1 to 1.0 to
> > make it a bit easier to sell.
>
> *Huh*  That's revisionist history if I've ever heard it.  We
> did a 1.0 release for FreeBSD because we wanted to differentiate
> ourselves from 386BSD (lot of bad blood there with the Jolitz's)
> and NetBSD (which had a 0.8 release at that time).

FWIW: This is all archived on Minnie, thanks to Warren Toomey.

I believe that Julian was the first corporately employed
person, who had at least part of his paid job as working on
the 386BSD/FreeBSD code.

Bill Jolitz approved a 0.5 "interim release" of 386BSD, as
his recent family troubles and recent contract with Sun
precluded him getting the promised 1.0 release out any time
soon.

Some of the people who later split off NetBSD and released the
NetBSD 0.8 release had reverse engineered the patchkit format,
and built tools to do the same thing.  Not understanding the
fact that the patchkit was in fact a simple, single user revision
control system that I had hacked together, they released patches
of their own, starting at #1000.  This resulted in problems with
serialization, and, I believe, was one of the main factors in
their going off on their own.

Progress was made on the 386BSD 0.5 release under the auspices
of the patchkit maintainers, who had their position of control
because I did not distribute the patchkit patch making shell
scripts very widely, in order to ensure serialization, so that
the patches, when applied, would work, have proper dependency
tracking, and not result in conflicts.

There was an angry posting on Usenet by Lynne Jolitz; in it,
she claimed that 1/3 of the patchkit was good, 1/3 was benign
(but unnecessary), and 1/3 was crap.  Then she would not say
which 1/3 was which; this pissed off more people than the
original claim that only 1/3 of the code was any good.

After much sniping back and forth, Bill Jolitz posted, and
revoked his previous permission to use the 386BSD name (a
common law trademark belonging to him), and therefore he had
effectively scuttled the interim release under the 386BSD
name.

Unwilling to throw away many months of work, it was decided to
go forward with the release, under the name FreeBSD 0.1.

Walnut Creek CDROM suggested that the version number be changed
to "1.0", in order to make it an easier sell on CDROM.

Check with Warren, if you don't believe this account.

-- Terry