Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 16:31:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        jflowers@ezo.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  wi driver - how to do?

The dmesg "wi0 not found" message is normal; the card shouldn't be found
at boot time by the (nop) ISA probe, but only by the pccard slot-insert-
triggered probe.

The fact that wicontrol works should mean that the wi driver has found
your card just fine.

If you don't have a steady green light on your WaveLAN card, then my guess
is that your card isn't configured for the right SSID ("Network Name") for
your base station. (You have a base station, I assume?)

Try the following:

	ifconfig wi0 down
	wicontrol -i wi0 -n ""
	ifconfig wi0 up

This will tell your WaveLAN card to connect to *any* SSID it sees. The default
configured by the wi0 driver is intended to elicit this behavior, but does
not. (Bill Paul: if you're reading, I suspect that a more appropriate
default value would be the empty string.)

Let me know if this fixes things. If it doesn't, please send the output of
wicontrol -i wi0.

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu