Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 07:38:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: all those .la files

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 10:51:08PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Every one of our posts that uses the new libtool monstrosity installs,
> > along with the libraries, at least one (and sometimes several) files
> > ending with .la.  These are useless ascii files that clutter up the
> > library directories with no use to life other than to obscure listings
> > of your libs (when you're trying to find "real" libs).
> >
> > How about changing portlint to where it catches any installed filename
> > starting in "lib" and ending in ".la" and complains that the file should
> > be manually 'terminated with extreme prejudice'?
>
> Yet another reason to consider moving all the libtool ports to use a
> local copy of libtool.

And the reasons that I don't want FreeBSD to require libtool are:

1) the author, pretty obviously from the Linux camp, has seen fit to
   embed several nasty comments about other OSs in it (including
   comments about FreeBSD), and
2) libtool is a solution running after a non-existent problem (it
   solves nothing whatsoever!)  Seeing as it's broken for more
   platforms than it works for, it actually makes compiling
   and linking far more difficult.

I want libtool to go away, so I can't get behind any effort to add it.

> 1. No more shared lib patches.
> 2. Can patch it to add thinggs like '11d' to the installed libs.
> 3. Can not install .la files.
> 4. <add more as you see fit>
>
> Regards,
>  -Jeremy
>
> --
>   |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
> --+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.
>   |    If I live or if I die, if I laugh or if I cry,
>   |    in this world of temptation, I will stand." -Pam Thum

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).