Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 16:17:54 -0600
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@Root.COM>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

> 	Hmmm okay....  Atleast it seems they are way better from the
> sounds of it than our current provider PBI.Net which uses AGIS.Net as the
> backbone and refuses to peer with anyone.  I guess from what you are
> saying, it seems like they are a company that atleast is upgrading as time
> goes on.  As for the >75% packet loss on their backbone, which sites for
> example were you connecting to?  SprintLink is even worst after all the
> Northern UC Campuses went into a SMDS cloud and out one DS3 to their
> Stockton hub, we've been getting 95% packet loss after the switch from
> BBNPlanet to SprintLink 2 weeks ago.  Thanks for the info though.  We've
> been doing our research and found that MCI, Sprint, PBI/AGIS are the ones
> to stay away from.
>
> Vince

Just for my own edification...

It often seems that MCI,Sprint get a bad rap. I'm not an employee
or stockholder, but if I'm not mistaken it would be my _rough_ guess that
between these two providers, they are carring probably 80% of the traffic
on the net (remember, that was a guess).

By "staying away from" these two giants, what do you gain?

Doesn't your traffic eventually get handled by them?

Don't you stand a better chance of getting your traffic routed
if you are a customer of Sprint or MCI?

>From an occasional glance at things, it would seem that _most_ of the
Sprint/MCI problems I see are with border routers not handling the
traffic that needs to get on their backbones.