Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 11:26:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        barnaby.ng@canrem.com (Barnaby Ng)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fatal code=5888

> Help, I got a fatal error while trying to install FreeBSD 2.0 from
> the Walnut Creek CD. Hardware:-
> - Intel 486DX2-66
> - Gigabyte m/b with SIS chipset, Award BIOS
> - 256K cache, 16MB ram
> - ATI Mach 64 VL with 2MB VRAM
> - Adaptec 2842VL (> 1GB bios translation enabled)

You must tell FreeBSD's fdisk program that you are using 255/63
translation.  Otherwise, it will not place the partitions in the
right place.  Read the manual that came with your adaptec about
what extended translation is, and you will understand.

> The installation program let me partition and assign my drives, but
> when I proceed, it gives me the following message:-
>
> Fatal
> Exec (/stand/newfs) failed, code=5888
>
> The debug screen shows:-
> Progress <newfs /dev/rsd0a>
> /dev/rsd0a: 61440 sectors in 30 cylinders of 64 tracks, 32 sectors
				should be 255/63
>      30.0 MB in 2 cyl groups (16 c/g, 16.00MB/g, 3840 i/g)
> Super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
>    32, 32832,
> Progress <Newfs/dev/rsd1f>
> With a block size of 32768 minimum bytes per inode is 5990
> Minimum bytes per inode is 5990
> With 16065 sectors per cylinder, minimum cylinder per group is 64
> This requires the block size to be changed from 8192 to 32768 and
>    the fragment size to be changed from 1024 to 4096
>

> I enabled the >1GB extended bios translation according to advice
> from Adaptec. If this is causing the problem, I've to low-level
> format my drives :-(. I can boot to OS/2 again so there is no damage
> so far, but I want FreeBSD on my system. Any suggestion?

Tell FreeBSD's fdisk program what the translation is, and it will be
happy.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1