Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:48:00 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dwb : groff replacement proposal

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Steve Kargl
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:18:43AM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>>
>> seen on http://wiki.freebsd.org/ContribSoftware, groff have switch
>> to GPLv3 license, so,
>
> So what? =A0The version of groff in the src/ isn't
> going to suddenly stop working. =A0Please send this
> type of email to free-advocacy or freebsd-chat.
> It has no place here.

Steve,
    I do see his point because bitrot software doesn't help, and apart
from our toolchain and a few other things, a lot of the GNU software
is being forced out eventually. groff hasn't been touched in ages
however.
    Regardless, there's already work being done to remedy this in the
FreeBSD community; see:
http://www.freebsdnews.net/2009/05/11/deprecating-groff-bsd-manual-display/
for one link.
Thanks,