Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:36:19 -0400
From:      Mike Galvez <galvez@virginia.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions Wanted: Dell PowerEdge Servers ... ?

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:03:42PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'm currently weighing options ... my last two servers were HP Proliant,
> and I *really* like them, but I might have a line on a supplier in Panama
> that deals in Dell Servers and not HP ...
>
> Looking at Dell's web site, the PowerEdge has an optional "Remote Access
> Controller" that will it *sounds* like will give me similar functionality
> as HPs iLO ...
>
> But, I've heard bad things about their 'desktop offerings', and am not
> sure if that follows through to their "Servers" ...
>
> So, I'm kinda looking for both good, and bad, experiences with the
> PowerEdge stuff ... anyone with opinions?
>
> Thx ...
>
> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

No small thing you need to consider when choosing Dell is that they DO NOT support
FreeBSD. They support Windows and Red Hat Linux. If the machine is not lights-out
and the OS is not one of the above, they will not send parts or a technician.

I found this out the hard way and had to load Linux on a spare drive just to prove
a piece of hardware was failing. They wasted a lot of my time. The cheaper cost of
their hardware was easily outweighed by the wasted hours of my time.

	-Mike