Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2017 10:07:54 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        sorressean <tyler@tysdomain.com>
Cc:        Anton Yuzhaninov <citrin+bsd@citrin.ru>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: help with condensing bsd

Thats what boot environments are for. Create a blank filesystem and then do
and install with the dest-dir installed. make delete-old etc should take
care of a lot of the issues. You could of course use pkgbase to create your
base image, and you can strip bits off afterward quite easily. However as
you a re doing a custom build there is no getting away from /usr/src, until
pkgbase becomes standard in maybe 12, or 13.