Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:33:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Arne Steinkamm <arne@Steinkamm.COM>
Cc:        pechter@lakewood.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, cah@lakewood.com
Subject:   Re: UUCP (important clarification)

On Tue, Oct 07, 1997 at 02:49:23PM +0200, Arne Steinkamm wrote:

>> It comes from the days of 1200 baud news feeds.  There are many of us
>> who were looked at as gods because we were the keepers of the newsfeed
>> at work and could grant enlightenment to people with home PC's by slipping
>> them a feed without the management knowing.
>>
>> My wife first ran across me while attempting to weasel a feed out of
>> Concurrent Computer to her home BBS and 3b2/300.
>>
>> Them was the good old days.  2400 baud news feeds, contents, no spam.
>> Them bits travelled up hill to the news spool both ways at 2400 baud, son.
>> And we didn't have none of those graphic screens.  We used rn and B-news
>> like you was supposed to. 8-)
>
> After throwing away notes B-News 2.11.19 was one of the most stable
> news software I ever saw :-)
>
> I remember the day we sat around a table and looked on the first
> 2400 baud modem we ever saw...

Yes, those were fun days.  And we were still fighting customers who
refused to install 1200 bps modems, and instead ran 300 bps.  We were
told that some phone nets weren't good enough to run 1200 bps.

> It was a better time... no spam but many many GOOD news

Tell me about it.  I installed nntp a few weeks back, and the news
that came in has been so memorable that I've stopped the feed again.

Ah, the good old days.

Greg