Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 17:29:14 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@despammed.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: harddrive error

At 23:19 2001/11/17 +0100, Nils Holland wrote:

>I would think that a cable that doesn't work wouldn't work under any OS,
>as long as that US actually makes use of your HDDs UDMA mode. I cannot
>imagine that you can actually have a cable that works with a drive in UDMA
>mode on every OS except for FreeBSD, but I currently cannot prove this ;-)

Actually, I can (prove it, that is.)    :)  On a better machine with an
ASUS motherboard, when trying to solve my own UDMA error problem I noticed
that certain modes were greyed out in the BIOS.  There was a message that
it was only enabled if the machine detected 80 pin shielded IDE cable.
Which means, that though WinXp didn't complain about it, it wasn't using it
either.  :)
A quick history of my issue--when it first happened, one of my first
searches on deja indicated that it was because of a cheaper hard
drive.  Then, when it happened on the second machine, I read a few more of
the 2000 hits (although if I added pio to the search criteria, it dropped
to about 890 hits.)  :)   That's when I found out about the cable
possibility, looked into the machines' BIOS and found that on the ASUS board.

HTH a little
Scott Robbins