Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:36:32 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Douglas Atkin" <atkin_d@yahoo.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Adaptec 2940

	The 2940 won't be listed, as it's a PCI card.  The graphical (ASCII)
configuration setup is only for specifying ISA cards.  Do not be alarmed.
Most PCI cards are found by FreeBSD's hardware probe.

> I chose a different driver to move forward not
> necessarily expecting the install to work but rather
> get to a point where I could pull the OS then fix the
> driver later. I am attempting to accomplish a ethernet
> connection using DHCP.  The machine cannot locate a
> DHCP server and I think this is do to not recognizing
> my SMC NICs which are also supported according to the
> hardware list.
>
> Please assist.

	Which model NIC?  That would be helpful in this instance.

> My CDROM is not on the hw list but is a SCSI NEC
> connected to the adaptec 2940.  During the 100 lines
> of initialization it is recognized.  I have exhausted
> my means at this point.

	The fact that your SCSI CD-Rom is found during the system boot process
means that FreeBSD has found your Adaptec controller.  Or are you saying
that it is not found?

> How can I get connected to put the OS on the box.
> Thanks sincerely.

	Well, if you're wanting to do a network install, we need to get that CD-Rom
working.  If you're wanting to use the CD-Rom, that should be possible
unless I'm missing something in your post.

--- Andy