Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:11:28 -0700
From:      Mark Stout <mcs@vpm.com>
To:        Paul Dekkers <paul@delay.nev.ml.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual hosts

Hi All:

I recently upgraded to 2.2.1 from 2.1.5R and now am experiencing the same
problem as Paul is, where the current host can not ping or traceroute to
any aliased IP address, but can be reached from any external host.  So
while it works, it just doesn't work from the host where the IP was aliased.

I have other boxes that this is not a problem for which is also running
2.2.1 that were upgraded from 2.1.5.  What didn't get updated when the new
binaries were installed and the kernel rebuilt?  This is a big pain in the
ass that I'd like to get resolved.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

At 06:31 PM 10/9/97 +0200, Paul Dekkers wrote:
>Hi
>
>Recently I created some virtual ip's on my system, by adding aliases in
>the sysconfig. It works, after rebooting (is it possible to re-read the
>sysconfig file without reboot?!) I have all my virtual hosts listed in
>ifconfig. But I can't reach the IP from the machine itself. When trying to
>connect from other hosts, it works! I can reach the server from other
>boxes on the network, but can't just lynx or ping to it from the server
>itself.
>What's wrong?
>
>Paul

 Mark Stout            http://www.vpm.com/               VPM Enterprises
 President             mcs@vpm.com                       (800) 321-0221
        Providing Secured Web Hosting and Credit Card Processing