Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:53:39 -0400
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Subject:   Re: NFS Locking Issue

Robert Watson writes:

> can you trigger it using work on just one client against a server, without
> client<->client interactions?  This makes tracking and reproduction a lot
> easier

Personally I am experiencing two problems.
1- NFS clients freeze/hang if the server goes away.
We have clients with several mounts so if one of the servers dies then the
entire operation of the client is put in jeopardy.

This I can reproduce every single time with a 6.X client.. with both a 5.X
and a 6.X server.

"umount -f" hangs too.

> as multi-client test cases are really tricky!

The second case only happens under heavy load and restarting nfsd makes it
go away. Basically 'b' column in vmstat goes high and the performnance of
the machine falls to the floor.

Going to try
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneld
ebug-deadlocks.html

And reading up on how to debug with DDB. Have another user who volunteered
to give me some pointers.. so will try that.. so I am able to actually
produce more helpfull info.