Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:51:29 -0500
From:      mhpower@mit.edu
To:        root@wagsky.com
Cc:        fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire fails 'make test'

>                     ... tripwire fails to properly execute its own
>testing (under either multi- or single-user mode).  Is this indicative of
>a problem which needs to be resolved?
>=== test.update.sh: testing CHANGED files ===
>=== test.update.sh: test FAILED! (expecting 8, got 0) ===

I sent the tripwire authors a bug report and a patch for what I
suspect is this same problem in (I think) 1996, and got a response
indicating that they didn't wish to issue a new release to fix it.

What I think is going on is that test.update.sh expects that at least
one second will pass in between recording the mtime of a file, and the
checking of the mtime of that file after a "touch" is done. On fast
machines/disks, less than a second passes, and thus tripwire reports
an error since it thinks it failed to detect an mtime change. The
simplest workaround may be to insert a sleep statement prior to when
the file is touched. I've included an untested patch below that uses
this approach.

If there's any interest, I can go find the longer explanation that I
wrote up at the time, as well as the patch that I submitted (which was
looked over by Gene Kim and Gene Spafford, who didn't object to it but
yet haven't made any changes to the distribution at
ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/Purdue/Tripwire/tripwire-1.2.tar.Z).

Matt

*** test.update.sh.old	Tue Feb 22 02:46:22 1994
--- test.update.sh	Fri Nov  6 11:37:15 1998
*** 169,174 ****
--- 169,175 ----
      ( . $MYRUN ; )  > $LOGFILE ;
      set _ $STATUSDEL; shift
      . $MYCHECK
+     sleep 2
      touch $OLDFILE

  echo "=== $ME: testing CHANGED files ==="