Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:56:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Robinson <wigstah@akitanet.co.uk>
To:        "H. Paul Hammann" <hpaul@hammann.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote controlled power strips

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, H. Paul Hammann wrote:

>    It would be ideal to have power strips that have the remote
> manipulation feature but also have sockets spaced so that there was
> one per rack unit (1.75 inches IIRC).  If anyone knows of dense power
> strips like this I would be most grateful for any information.  If
> people reply directly to me I will summarize to the list.  Thanks in
> advance.

Well, 2 solutions spring to mind:

1. Instead of power strips, stick rack-mount UPS kit in there that is
controllable remotely, that will already by definition have the sockets
arranged in a dense manner. Unfortunately, this means that you waste
rackspace.

2. Use multiple strips on opposite sides of the case. First rack goes to
left, second to right, third to left, fourth to right etc. If you're
strips come from different supplies and your servers are clustered, you
even get a reasonable amount of redundancy in a dense environment.

Well, that's just a thought, but I've never had to do high-density
rack-mounting, so what would I know? :-)

--
Paul Robinson - Developer/Systems Administrator @ Akitanet Internet