Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:15:33 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        Micheas Herman <m@micheas.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.2 (lang/php52) port

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 03:43:14AM -0700, Micheas Herman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 12:09 +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:23:15AM +0900, Svyatoslav Lempert wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > We have problems for a considerable quantity of users which are linked
> > > to upgrade of major version PHP 5.2 to version 5.3 in port lang/php5
> > > They are linked to considerable incompatibility of old scripts which
> > > should are corrected and rewrited for correct work under PHP 5.3.2.
> >
> > Can't you just downgrade the php port to the previous version?
>
>         That isn't really completely viable as there would then be no
>         upgrade path to php 5.2.14 php, 5.2.13 was released in February
>         of 2010 and is a security update to the 5.2.X line of php and
>         based on past history I would expect 5.2.17 to be released.

The maintainer of the php ports has already stated that maintaining the
php port framework is a considerable burdern.

I'm not him. I'm quite happy with the presenty situation since I
run very few php webapps written by others(and various smallish
ones written by myself). I can't really comment on his decisions.
FreeBSD being a voluntary work effort he has the right to do whatever
he likes.

If you really need this you could try creating the needed ports. Basing
your effort on the old verion of the existing ones should give you a
good headstart.

I really don't see any option from you. Anything that is in FreeBSD is
there because some interested party made it happen.

This is true for BASD since it's original conception at the Berkeley
University in 1977(from the history I've studied at last).

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>