Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:15:02 +0100
From:      Florian Nigsch <flo@nigsch.com>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: logs (rotation)

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 10:37:48AM -0500, alexus wrote:
> i did that and it works fine, however
>
> when i run rotatelogs from apache's dir i get this instructions
>
> %/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs
> Usage: /usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs <logfile> <rotation time in seconds>
> [offset minutes from UTC]
>
> Add this:
>
> TransferLog "|/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs /some/where 86400"
>
> to httpd.conf. The generated name will be /some/where.nnnn where nnnn is the
> system time at which the log nominally starts (N.B. this time will always be
> multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it).
> At the end of each rotation time a new log is started.
> %
>
> so they suggest to use TransferLog instead of CustomLog

---end quoted text---

Hey, i didn't even know that there was a binary 'rotatelogs' included
with apache... ;-) Therefore I don't know it's behaviour and such.

But I could imagine that instead of TransferLog-ing to the pipe you
could CustomLog into the pipe, like so

	CustomLog "|/usr/../rotatelogs <filename>"

I am in no case sure if that might work, but I would try it without
hesitation. I think it does work. Why not? ;)

flo

--

---
Florian Nigsch <flo@nigsch.com>