Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 04:50:34 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The real Unix problem

HERE HERE!!  :)  But, yes, I think your statement was a bit not strong
enough...

<clip>

>were not at one time in his shoes, albeit perhaps went
>about learning and asking questions in a much more
>acceptable manner.

</clip>

Anybody could have asked the very same question in a much more acceptable
manner...especially from the start.  I have to admit, that the ONE thing
that drives me NUTTY are those who when they first get asked a question
their first response is : RTFM!! But on the flip side of that, I can't
stand people who just ask questions ALL the time and aren't willing to try
and find a less convenient (perhaps) more reliable (most likely) avenue of
getting their questions answered.  So it goes both ways and this argument
could go on forever.  So, in the interest of time...mr mouth (below) should
have been way more tact when he asked his question...er did he ask?!  :)

- Jim

At 02:22 AM 11/26/2000 -0700, Chris Wasser wrote:
> [...]
> > Learn about something before you install it, bro.
>
>To those who took the time to read this reply in this rather
>unseemingly thread, my gratitude for you taking the time to
>read my perhaps controversial opinions on it instead of
>skipping over it based on header :)
>
>Unfortunately, he has a point which seems to be escaping almost
>everyone who has replied to this thread:
>
>Ever since the adaptation of Microsoft Windows as the "standard"
>for the "home user", the very nature in the design of such
>software has taken the "oldschool" hackers (I mean MSDOS
>or PCDOS, OS/9, PC-MOS386, etc) and turned him/her into the
>lowest common denominator for those who don't have the time
>nor the inclination to learn.
>
>All in the name of "convienience" and "ease of use".
>
>Some of my clients can't even navigate their way around Windows
>itself because they simply don't have the aptitude to assimilate
>the information in a coherent manner (whether it be some deep
>seated fear of computers -- as odd as that sounds, I still meet
>some people who are afraid of computers) and thus OS's such
>as FreeBSD seem completely alien to them (afterall, there's
>no place to click to install this or that)
>
>The fault doesn't lie with the user, in this case, a very
>distraught and upset person who for all we know, care barely
>find the "Start" button. I'll bet he barely understands the
>"dos prompt" in Windows much less then how to compile a kernel.
>
>I don't mean this to add to the already numerous insults he's
>received, I emphasize it to illustrate that not everyone out
>there in computer-land is from the days when some of us used
>Radiation King monitors and machines that weren't even measured
>in MHz.
>
>The true culprit is monolithic corporations such as Microsoft
>who in what I'm sure was originally once a noble idea to make
>computers easier to use, has sacrificed the control some of us
>DEMAND from our operating systems to fit into a world costantly
>in a hurry to get somewhere and shit-canned everyone into the
>same mould and thus produces users who end up getting
>frustrated because they only think on the one wavelength in
>which they were "educated" into.
>
>The end result is we who understand and can sit on this side
>of the fence look down on those on the other side of the fence
>who simply don't know any better. Instead of retorting back
>with insults, perhaps it would have been a better avenue to
>suggest help in a more helpful manner.
>
>I realize to some of you, you might be thinking, "we don't
>need his kind anyways". It's unlikely to me that any of us
>were not at one time in his shoes, albeit perhaps went
>about learning and asking questions in a much more
>acceptable manner.
>
>The way I see it, every user I help introduce into FreeBSD
>(anything to break the hold of the Borg) is one more addition
>to the cause... Which to my understaning is one of our goals

- Jim
- NOTJames
- jconner@enterit.com

- | Today's errors, in contrast:                                           |
- | Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935" |
- | UNIX    - "segmentation fault - core dumped"                           |
- | Humans  - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"                       |
- (To view this properly use a non-proportional font in your MUA)