Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:23:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dorin H <bj93542@yahoo.com>
To:        Craig Riter <criter@riter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible compromise or just misreading logs

Hi there,
About file integrity check (only one piece of the
puzzle, but a necessary one):

Use aide (last tripwire is yet to be updated -do not
compile-, see maintainer work).
To prevent the mentioned attacks, keep your hashes OFF
your box. To compute/verify hashes, always boot from a
secure live cd.
Downside: you have to do this at each update. To
maintain the level of security, try something like:

1. boot secure cd
2. verify the hashes by comparing to the last version
from the external source (use a log, better than
override previous hashes).
3. If ok, do the update (have your sources downloaded
locally before and verified; the FreeBSD online update
system is yet to be secured: see list discussion)
[Paranoia: 4.boot again your safe cd and recompute &
save the new hashes]
4. Recompute the new hashes and save them externally.

Add-on. You should do this offline to remove the
window of opportunity in step 3, while updating the
tracked files.

Hope this helps,
/Dorin.

PS. If you have a Web server, I'd rather start by add
at least some kind of firewall and an external syslog
before thinking og the file integrity check anyway.