Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 03:31:55 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 82489 data books

Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > page is stolen).  I've been trying to decipher some of the more obscure
> > parts of the apic docs, and it appears that we can sort-of simulate a
>
> So far I've been working with just the APIC info in the MP spec and the
> pentium manual.  I just spent a half-hour playing phone tag with Intel
> trying to get some 82489 specific data books.  They can't seem to
> find the proper documents.  Could you tell me the document names & numbers
> of the books you have/know of?
>
> thanx in advance...

Ha! If you find out, **please** let me know!  There seems to be no
documentation for the IO APIC available anywhere, apart from the fact that
it's got address space reserved for it.  As far as intel is concerned, it
appears as though the 82489DX practically never existed, and the vague
reference "See your chipset documentation" for the IO APIC specs isn't
much help either.  Does that mean we need to get hold of a Neptune or the
430HX-formerly-known-as-Triton-II chipset manuals??

Or is this one of those areas that the BIOS is meant to program and the OS
is to keep it's grubby hands off?

Somebody once mentioned to me some unrelated manual that had a secion on
the IO apic, but I've lost the mail and cannot remember who it was.

It would be really, really nice if Intel could grab the apic section of
one of their "chipset manuals" and stick it on their web server in .pdf
format next to the pentium and pentium pro manuals.  (non-encrypted pdf
please, it's a royal pain having to go to a windows machine and print the
damn thing from acrobat to a fake postscript printer to capture the .ps)
Anybody got any friends inside Intel? :-)

BTW, the MPSPEC 1.1 doc says:  82489DX Advanced Programmable Interrupt
Controller (data book), Intel order number 290446.  Let me know if you had
better luck than I did...

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD