Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:11:00 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Telnet Problem

[This mail was resent due to delivery problems. If you have received it twice, please ignore.]

I have been having some trouble with telnet on a specific machine
since a make-world a week ago. I've traced the problem to something
specifically to do with the "secure" version of telnet, which is the
one that ends up getting installed.

If I go up into the object tree to check the "regular" telnet out,

  [101:~] cd /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet
  [102:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet] ./telnet nsmail
  Trying 1.2.3.4...
  Connected to nsmail.myorg.org
  Escape character is '^]'.

  login:

But if I go to secure telnet,

  [103:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/telnet] cd ../../secure/usr.bin/telnet
  [104:/usr/obj/usr/src/secure/usr.bin/telnet] ./telnet nsmail
  nsmail: No address associated with hostname

It seems like the host lookup is broken. Note that those commands
really were run back-to-back. The fact that one works and that all
other commands do not seem to have trouble with host lookups makes me
think the problem is with the secure telnet.

Any ideas what to do? I did rebuild the secure telnet, no joy. Didn't
do a complete make-world, not without some hope it might help.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com