Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:06 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who generates the daily, weekly, monthly reports on FreeBSD?

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:01:47PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> albi writes:
>=20
> a> check the /etc/periodic/ dir
>=20
> I've seen it.  But where does it run from?  Supposedly you're not
> supposed to modify crontab files directly, but where do these jobs
> belong if crontab -l from root won't list them.  Is there some sort of
> "system" crontab in addition to those for root and other users, or how
> does it work?

/etc/crontab is indeed the "system" crontab.  You can safely edit this
one by hand.

The following three lines are the ones you're interested in:

# Perform daily/weekly/monthly maintenance.
1       3       *       *       *       root    periodic daily
15      4       *       *       6       root    periodic weekly
30      5       1       *       *       root    periodic monthly

Note the additional field, before the command is named.  It determines
which user the command runs as.

See crontab(5) for more details.

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \