Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:46:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 20:25:18 +1000
> Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:
>
> > Strangely enough, NetBSD supports up to 22 partitions.
>
>...well, that's MAXMAXPARTITIONS ... i.e. any more, and you don't fit
>in a DEV_BSIZE block.  Most NetBSD platforms set MAXPARTITIONS at 8.
>
>There's actually a good reason to NOT change this on existing platforms..
>You screw minor number compatibility with existing installed base.  That's
>annoying, at least.  I'd classify it as stupid, personally :-)

I don't feel an overwhelming desire to preserve my device numbers.  Though
if people must keep backward compatibility, discontiguous bits can be
manipulated by dkpart() and friends.

If 8 or less partitions are allocated, the disk should be physically
and logically portable to other machines and/or BSD operating systems.
As Bruce pointed out, the format should already support up to 22
partitions if we had enough bits allocated in the minor device number.

On a related topic, the disk device numbers are arrange in an ugly
way, presumably for backward compatibilty reasons.  Are these reasons
still valid?  The current "type / unit2 / slice / major / unit1 / part"
could be rearranged to "major / unit / slice / part" (I don't know what
"type" is here. Grep didn't help me either.).

Oh, and the existing dkmakeminor() doesn't handle unit > 31, though
dkunit() does.  I presume nobody has 32 or more disks.  I haven't!

Stephen.