Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:06:06 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Window positioning in 1.1.7

> I recently installed jdk1.1.7.V98-11-5.tar.gz, and everything I have tried
> so far seems OK, with two exceptions:
>
> AWT applications, and applets run with appletviewer, come up with their
> main window positioned incorrectly, with the top left-hand corner maybe 10
> or twenty pixels above and left of the screen.  This didn't happen with
> 1.1.5.

That's because Sun modified the code in JDK1.1.6 (which affects
JDK1.1.7) and 'broke' this behavior while it fixed other behavior.  This
behavior is not specific to FreeBSD, but also exists on Solaris.

If you can figure out how to fix this w/out breaking other
functionality, feel free to dig in and send the patches.

> With this version and with earlier ones, I get many messages of the form
>
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfActivate
> Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:KeySelect()'

I don't see this, so it's some sort of extra config file or something.
Check your .Xdefaults or see if there an X environment variable pointing
to some really old config file or something.

Nate