Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 00:44:30 +0000
From:      what ever <thursday@freeshell.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound, part 2

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who tried to help me getting my sound card to work. I finally managed to get it recognized by the kernel (I'd had an irq conflict), but now, I am having some other issues.

This is on 4.2-RELEASE, with a Creative Vibra 16.

dmesg reports this about pcm & sbc:

sbc0: <Soundblaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.13> on sbc0

cd  /dev && sh MAKEDEV snd0 completed successfully

cat /dev/sndstat has this to say:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Apr 27 2001 14:58:07
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.13> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 (1p/1r channels)

Yet attempting to use any of the nice multimedia utilities in kde or other sound utilities such as mpg123 returns nothing but silence.

Cat-ing a .wav to /dev/dsp returns a screen full of binary characters and "cat: /dev/dsp: Device busy"

Based on what I've read...I should be hearing beautiful music now...so I am at a bit of a loss. Help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--
Thursday@sdf.lonestar.org