Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 2020 05:54:30 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Might an UPDATING entry be appropriate for a MINIMAL_PKG_VERSION bump?

--i483Pv/KqyjCUwB1

When I rebuild FreeBSD (stable/12) on my laptop, I also rebuild a ports
module (x11/nvidia-driver), since the laptop has an Nvidia graphics
card.

However, a couple of times within the last few days, the kernel build
has failed because I normally wait to update ports until after I have
built and rebooted the newly-built base OS... and "?ports" includes
ports-mgmt/pkg.

In each case (so far), I have then updated ports-mgmt/pkg, then
re-started the base OS build/install.

I believe that it would be helpful to have an UPDATING entry reflect
that "evasive action" is required when MINIMAL_PKG_VERSION is bumped.

Or, perhaps, I'm going about this all wrong...?  If so, please let me
know a better way.

Thanks.

Peace,
david
--=20
Donald Trump is just in it for the publicity (well, and the money).

--i483Pv/KqyjCUwB1

--i483Pv/KqyjCUwB1--