Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:39:10 +0200
From:      Daniel Rock <rock@dead-end.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7500 sound configuration

Greg Lehey schrieb:
> On Thursday, 13 July 2000 at 11:05:48 -0600, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> > ata1-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> > ata1-slave: identify failed
> > ad0: 28615MB <IBM-DJSA-230> [58140/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> > acd0: DVD-ROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402> at ata1-master using PIO4
>
> Hmm, they've brought out a new top-end disk.  How old is this machine?
> Do you hear any clicking noises from the disk?  A number of us have
> reported this problem on the "old" 25 GB disks.
The error occured on the secondary IDE channel. I have had the same
error at least on two different notebooks, with different brand of the
DVD drives. But the drives still work, so I think the problem is harmless.

One machine:

Intel BX chipset with
HITACHI/Toshiba 12 GB HDD master on channel 0
TEAC DV25E DVD master on channel 1

Second machine:
VIA 82C686 chipset with
IBM 12 GB HDD master on channel 0
Toshiba SD-C2302 master on channel 1

on both machines no problems even with DMA enabled for the DVD drive.

There seems to be a bug in the probe code of the ATA driver.

--
Daniel